Resources - Environment
|Back to Resources|
Multiple SolutionsAchieving compatibility between the airport and the surrounding neighborhoods requires more than a single approach in order to be effective. Several varied and unique approaches are working collectively to ensure that the Dallas Love Field Noise Control Program is successful. These techniques work together to reduce and to redirect the noise impacts away from the more populated areas around the airport through:
- A comprehensive voluntary noise control program;
- A noise abatement advisory committee;
- 24 hour noise complaint recording and investigation; and
- Introduction of the new generation of quieter aircraft into the commercial and general aviation fleets.
Noise Control ProgramOn December 16, 1981, the Dallas City Council officially adopted the Dallas Love Field Noise Control Program after an extensive and detailed evaluation of the noise impact of aircraft operations at the airport. Working with consultants, the City of Dallas together with neighborhood representatives, aviation industry leaders, and Federal Aviation Administration officials developed and implemented a voluntary program to responsibly address the noise issue and effectively reduce the adverse impact of aircraft operations at Love Field. Each year since 1981, noise contours have been developed to track the progress of the program.
The most effective measures in the program include:
- Nighttime Preferential Runway for turbojet aircraft and aircraft weighing over 12,500 lbs.
- Trinity Departure for Night Operations on Runway 13R for turbo jet aircraft and aircraft weighing over 12,500 lbs. when air traffic flow is to the South.
- Established Channelization Tracks and Altitude Restrictions for Helicopters.
- Requesting all departing aircraft to use optimal take-off profile for noise abatement purposes;
- A prohibition from midnight to 6 a.m. on all maintenance run-ups;
- Requesting that all aircraft execute rolling take-offs when practicable;
- Prohibition against training flights between the hours of 10 p.m. and 7 a.m.;
- Turbojet arrival flight tracks; and more.